How many times you have gone for an interview and being judged on your communication skills? Almost every time, right? Of course, your technical knowledge, your experience, your certificates, and your CV matters for that job but what do you think a good interpersonal communication would earn you?
“Only through communication can human life hold meaning.” This one statement is enough to understand the importance of good interpersonal communication skills in life. We all know communication is the key to a successful life, be it related to a career or a personal success. Words can work tremendously over someone.
You can win hearts and designations if you can communicate well. With this blog, let us see what more interpersonal communication has to offer you and check how effective a communicator you are. The researchers of writeouressay.com have brought this blog to you that will help you understand interpersonal skills from A to Z.
What are the interpersonal skills?
We need to communicate to bring our emotions, thinking, views, and ideas out both on the personal and professional level. We meet several people daily and interact with them. This is where we use our interpersonal skills on daily basis.
The non-verbal and verbal process of sharing ideas and information with a person or group of people is called interpersonal communication and the ability to conduct the conversation in an effective manner is interpersonal skills. This can be both formal and informal. Interpersonal skills are inclusive of various skills. However, good and effective listening and speaking ability are counted must. Management of our emotions also falls under interpersonal skills.
Leaving behind the personal bubble, when we move towards a world of work, the significance of interpersonal communication elevates. There could be a long list of soft skills that can be used by you in your workplace depending upon the roles you play and the place you work in. The good interpersonal communication in the workplace is significant for the satisfaction of the employees, their collaboration in the work, their motivation, and success of the business.
Interpersonal communication in the workplace
You might not know but you will be always under observation at your workplace for the way you communicate. Keeping all your abilities on a side, your managers would like to see effective communication skill. The reason behind this observation and judgement is wide. It helps you in the development of your career as well as increases your productivity in the office. Given below are the reasons why interpersonal skills are important for your professional life.
To solve a problem
Problem-solving requires interpersonal communication skills. This assists people in the discussion on any issue (work-related problems) so that the strength, weakness, threat, and opportunities can be analysed before making a final decision. One such example of the discussion process is the brainstorming session. In the process, everyone is allowed to participate, share voices, and all the ideas are respected.
Alignment of business
Interpersonal communication skills help in aligning the business in a successful direction. Poor communication can damage the business in many ways, be the conversation is within the workplace or outside the workplace. A weak communication within the workplace results in the unclear directions to the employees by the managers whereas it can result in clients and deals fall outside the workplace. Any change in management can also be discussed better in this way.
Prosperous company culture
A well-executed interpersonal communication helps in prosperous company culture. In addition to this, a good interpersonal communication skill among employees would also assist in making the organizational culture more positive and cooperative. It helps in building trust among the employees and the employer.
Better employee recognition
The more interpersonal communication would be good, the more it will help in better employee recognition. When the employees and managers are good at communicating, this would help them in the recognition of good work of each other and there would be more productive feedback.
Having good interpersonal communication in the workplace doesn’t let workplace miscommunication happen. Managers with a positive attitude and open communication are likely to be seen as more cordial than those who do not communicate much or are bad at communication. In this way, employees can directly approach to decision-makers. This prevents rumours, gossips, and miscommunication.
There are some other benefits of good interpersonal communication skills of both the employee and employer such as a healthy personal relationship, conflict management, success of the employee, career development, and crisis management. Moreover, it plays a significant role in building effective management and leadership.
How to develop impressive interpersonal skills?
For the betterment of your professional toolbox, interpersonal skills are very important. From an internal discussion in the workplace to an important meeting with the client, you need effective communication skills and bold confidence to convince the client. With a strong interpersonal skill, you can win associates and convince your manager simultaneously about your capabilities and qualities. Eventually, the process will help you in the advancement of your career.
Given below are some of the ways how you can develop impressive interpersonal skills.
- Develop an uplifting viewpoint: Never let yourself down with any of your matters and draw yourself towards an optimistic side of your job and things you do in life even on the personal level. In a stressed-out situation, pick out the positive and begin things on that.
- Know your colleagues better: No matter you are in the office, or any casual place with your colleagues and friends. This is a well-known fact that we learn things from the circle we live in. Moreover, try to know much about their lives so that you can build a good relationship with them. This is a part of your interpersonal skill development.
- Don’t be overly emotional: Your workplace might not be the right place to let that emotion come out all the time. You can be very sad, depressed, happy, annoyed, or feel anything but never let that come in front of your colleagues. Being impatient can be harmful to you. If you ever find yourself in such a condition, then take a deep breath and let that emotion sit down. Always try to present yourself in a much calmer way.
- Uphold that relationship: You must have heard your acquaintance saying that you never know who and what can be helpful in which phase of life. They are not completely wrong. You should always try to stay connected with your old college friends and your former colleagues either on social media or on a personal level. This presents you as a person who values relationships and would also help you with your career.
- Look for the good in everyone: It is impossible for us to like every human we meet or work with. However, our personal preferences should never affect the professional life. Even if you have clashed with some of your colleagues try to look for the good part of the person, something that can help you with your career.
- Empathy is important: For being a good and understanding human being, empathy is crucial. Try to understand the person and the entire scenario with a well-rounded view before coming to any conclusion.
- Recognize other’s skills: If you love being praised for things you do wholeheartedly, the person next to you is expecting the same. Appreciation is very important if you want someone to trust you. Give the person all the due the credits he or she deserves.
- Self-assurance is significant: For the conduction of effective communication on both personal and professional level, you must know your abilities well. This brings you confidence and your communication become effective naturally.
- Try to listen: Never listen to reply but to understand. Also, keep the listening active. This means you should look into the eyes of the speaker when he or she is saying something, understand them and nod when needed, repeat what they said in the way you understood. This would not only help you recall things easily in future but will also make the speaker feel heard and respected.
How interpersonal skills can be presented well?
Have you ever come across a flawless resume, something that had fascinated you to make your own in such a tremendous manner? If yes, then there are great chances that the interpersonal skills of the person are preeminent. Huge data and numbers on your resume might be a good way to impress the employer but now they also look for passion.
Your interpersonal skills on your resume could be like a cherry on top and would make you stand out of the crowd. But how are you going to attain that? Don’t worry, here you will find an impressive way of your skill presentation. How about STAR method?
The STAR method is the abbreviated form of situation, task, action, and result. This is a creative way of presenting your ideas and mindset during a work process. While creating your resume, you can write the situation more like an accomplishment. Later, explain the aim, which is your task and the action you took as an individual to meet the result. This is the STAR method of showing your accomplishment and an impressive way to demonstrate your interpersonal skills.
If you find this way too creative for yourself then you can simply use the second method which is spotting the job’s soft skill and illustrating it on your resume. Make a list of qualities you have and see if it matches the job requirement. This would help you to get your dream job.
A list of most valuable interpersonal skills to cultivate
In recent times having technical knowledge is not sufficient. We have already discussed it above. The organization asks for more. You should have it all to be the best fit for the organization. Given below is the list of most valuable and expected interpersonal skills by your recruiter.
- Self-assurance: Self-assurance or self-confidence is important in every aspect of life. It naturally brings the best out of you. A lot of knowledge, a sufficient amount of research, good clothing, and good communication are some of the factors that would help you develop confidence.
- Positive attitude: Among various things you need for good interpersonal communication, a positive attitude is a must. Any recruiter would like to hire you knowing the fact that you have healthy mental health and you look for optimism in every possible situation. Never defame your former company or employees in any way and try to keep yourself calm in the toughest situations. You can practice breathing exercises for this.
- Cooperation: It is very important to be cooperative when you have to work with a team. It is not always possible to be okay with everything but the least you can do is TRY. You should be able to work in a culturally diverse environment.
- Basic reasoning and critical thinking: In your professional life you should always be a resourceful person. Even if you don’t know the answer to everything, you should always be ready to find one.
- Good communication: One of the most important quality is to be able to communicate well. Read more and more books and practice communication in front of the mirror if you are a beginner.
- Pressure handling ability: You never know what might come your way when you are working on a project. You should always train yourself in such a manner that you can come up with the best solutions even if you have to work under pressure.
- Time management: Time is very powerful; this is something we hear a lot and that’s true. There is a great significance of punctuality in the workplace. No clients would like to receive their order post-deadline. This might affect your career in the wrong way. You must know how to manage your time so that you can carry out all the given tasks easily before eleventh-hour.
- Adaptability: Every workplace expects their employees to work in flexible hours and being able to adapt themselves in the work culture. You should come out of your comfort zone to provide the company with the best you have. You should be hard-working.
- Capacity to acknowledge useful input: Some people are good at taking criticism and feedback personally. You do not have to do that. You should try to make yourself open to advise and feedbacks. Accept any kind of feedback with grace and keep on winning hearts at your place. This is going to take you a long way.
With this blog, we have come to know that interpersonal skills are significant for any human for the development of their personal and professional relations in every aspect.
If you find this blog informative, do check our other blogs. We are a team of writers, editors, and researches focused on helping students around the world with authentic and legitimate essay help for better academic growth.